It’s no contest that Chuck Palahniuk is one of my favorite authors. A rookie to his novels, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed every line my eyes have scanned. This week’s Seven Ways revolves around this mastermind. The most difficult part was keeping the list at seven. If you haven’t yet experienced Palahniuk, and you’re ready for an intense ride, stop by your local bookstore and snag any book with his name on it.
- “I want out of the labels. I don’t want my whole life crammed into a single word. A story. I want to find something else, unknowable, some place to be that’s not on the map. A real adventure. A spinx. A mystery. A blank. Unknown. Undefined.” Have you read my latest Dirty Boots zine? It explores the idea of busting out of the box I’ve created for myself. And, I have to say, life has been a lot more enjoyable. Reach out, reach up, and expand.
- “All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring.” Constantly push the envelope. Get out of your box; Out of your comfort zone. Keep things interesting. Talk to strangers, take chances, explore the unfamiliar, challenge yourself.
- “If you don’t know what you want, you end up with a lot you don’t.” Speak up. Tell people loud and clear what it is you want. If you don’t specify what kind of milk you want in your latte, you may wind up with something you don’t want. On the bright side, by knowing what you don’t want, you get a pretty good idea of what you do want. Trial and error, my friends.
- “The best way is not to fight it, just go. Don’t be trying all the time to fix things. What you run from only stays with you longer. When you fight something, you only make it stronger.” Two words: Amor fati. You’re probably all too familiar. You stoke fires with flames already stretched towards the sky. You don’t even bother to move the gas tank that dwells a few feet away. I’ve seen enough “arguments” on Facebook to know that if you keep coming, someone will be waiting for you. Let it go.
- “You have no control over how you’re perceived.” You can try for the rest of your life to create a facade, but people will see through it, and there is nothing you can do about it. Focus on you, not the perception others have of you. If you spend your life trying to adjust the way people view you, you will never sleep.
- “Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes. working jobs we hate, so we can buy shit we dont need.” Point blank.
- “Your handwriting. The way you walk. Which china pattern you choose. It’s all giving you away. Everything you do shows your hand. Everything is a self portrait. Everything is a diary.” You are painting your grand masterpiece, your life’s work, every single day of the year. Every step you take leaves a paper trail of where you’ve been and who you’ve become.
What is your favorite Palahniuk quote? Do you have a favorite novel? Tell me about it. Cheers.
This site exists because readers like you choose to support it. If you found this article to be helpful, please consider a small donation or visit the shop. Thank you for supporting my creative endeavors.