- Take a month hiatus from the Internet. Purchase a journal and every time you have the urge to surf the web, go indulge in something else. Track your time and see what you could be missing out on.
- Take note of detail. Throughout your day, use your eyes to their very best ability. Acknowledge every crack in the side walk. Admire the ridges on the loose change in your pocket. Recognize the highlights in the person’s hair standing in front of you in line.
- Create a good mood inducing mix tape / CD / playlist. Make a copy for a friend.
- Dress weather appropriately. For the first time in about ten years, I have a weather appropriate coat. Through school, I never wore a winter coat. I just layered shirts and hoodies and maybe accessorized with some gloves or a scarf. I just bought a new weather resistant jacket from The North Face and I now know the warmth and comfort I’ve been missing out on all of these years.
- When you are faced with a difficult problem or troubling emotion, smile. Lay back, close your eyes, breathe and smile. Hold it for a good minute or two.
- “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” Epictetus. Age old saying that still, and always will stand true. Not much of an explanation needed.
- Flaunt your flaws. After all, they are a part of who you are.