Positive affirmations can be a charming little way to maintain a positive mental attitude, and reprogram your brain to achieve a desired object or situation. Merriam-Webster defines an affirmation as “1. a: the act of affirming b: something affirmed: a positive assertion / 2. a solemn declaration made under the penalties of perjury by a person who conscientiously declines taking an oath.” Affirmations are simple, specific statements, when repeated over time, trigger the subconscious mind.
The trick with affirmations, is they need to be declared when your mind is not engaged in something else (like driving, eating, working, etc). Your focus needs to be 100% directed at proclaiming your affirmations. Also, affirmations need to be repeated frequnetly. By “frequently,” I mean about fifty times a day. This may not seem like much of a chore, but when you’re working, going to school, driving, eating, socializing, cleaning, and so on, it may seem like you don’t have too many spare minutes in the day. That’s what this post is for. It will hopefully aid you in the most efficient and effective way to affirm your life.
- Have a clear mind. Your affirmation should be your sole focus. This means stopping whatever you’re doing, and turning your undivided attention to proclaiming your positive statements.
- Repeat often. It is said that it takes about forty days to reprogram your subconscious mind. That said, be willing to accept the challenge, and dedicate about five or six weeks to affirming your life.
- Speak in the present tense. Starting “I want to be healthy,” or “I wish I were wealthy,” announces that one day, with no determined date, you would like to be healthy or wealthy. Speak in the present tense. “I feel healthy and strong” or “I accept prosperity and abundance into my life.”
- Affirm with purpose and desire. Whatever you speak, make a point to feel it. You want to feel happy? Think happy thoughts. Force yourself to smile as you say your affirmations. Strive for that joyful feeling.
- Visualize. You want a prosperous life? Close your eyes and put yourself there. You want a house on the beach? Close your eyes, feel your skin warming from the hot sun, feel the sand between your toes, and smell the salty ocean air.
Post-it notes. Get brightly colored ones, so they grab your attention. Stick them on your night stand, on your mirror, on the fridge, anywhere you can think of. Every time you see these brightly colored notes, take a quick moment to read the affirmation, preferably aloud.
Note cards. Write down your affirmations on cards and keep them next to your bed. Make it a point to flash though them (ten or fifteen times) every morning as you wake up, and every night as you go to sleep. Make an extra set to keep with you in your car and/or in your desk at work.
Shout affirmations during your work-out. Get in the habit of doing crunches or jumping jacks first thing in the morning. No need to do anything strenuous, just something to get your blood pumping and your mind alert. Shout an affirmation with each jump or crunch. Doing something like jumping jacks doesn’t require any skill or thought, so you can direct your attention to shouting each affirmation, “I am rich! I am wealthy! My life is abundant! I am prosperous!”
Affirmation gem transit. This is my absolute favorite way to proclaim affirmations, because it makes them seem more real. It’s kind of like an “out of sight, out of mind” deal. This is a gentle and fun reminder to affirm your life. Put 50 shiny gems in a mug, along side with an empty mug. Every time you pass them, take one gem out of one mug, state your affirmation (with passion, desire and 100% focus), and transport it to the other mug. If you’re into stones and crystals, maybe find the ones that will best aid you in your focus. For example, perhaps if it’s health and wellness you seek, you may use emerald or amber. Greenlee’s Forest has a great guide for stones and their meanings.
Attitude is Everything. Grab this pocket-sized hand bound mini zine to aid you in keeping a PMA. Filled with affirmations and quotes, plus plenty of room to state your own affirmations, this little guide is perfect for maintaining a level head. Get yours HERE.
Affirmations help reprogram your mind. The more you repeat, the more likely you are to believe, and the more likely you are to be able to create your own reality. Remember, don’t lose your focus, and make sure you dedicate plenty of time each and every day to removing yourself from the activities of your daily life to focusing on your affirmations.
Happy living. (:
This article was modified from jettavegas.com.